Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Crossing - Serita Jakes

I love books that make me wonder what is going to happen next... during the day when I am not reading them! This is one of those books! This story is written around a High School teacher who was murdered on a school bus after a football game in front of her students. The impact of this is still haunting many of them after 10 years, not just because of the horror of it but because the murder has never been solved.

When the case is re opened by the husband of one of the women that was with her when she died, it creates more turmoil than he expected and shakes their family to the core.

I was impressed by how well the story was woven together and how much detail was given to each character in such a short amount of time, I was able to get a clear picture of who these people were and they were very real. The story deals with several difficult topics such as adultery, domestic violence and mental health struggles and does so in a very real way that enables you to see the root of the issues.

The thing I most loved about the story is that it was real, there was no pretense and no love conquers all and everyone lives happily ever after all wrapped in a pink bow. Sometimes in life things are hard, people make bad choices, people go astray and some people don't find their way back, and some don't even try. That is real life and this book captures that. I loved it!

I think there is something in this for everyone, and I think you will like it as well. Go check it out, and happy reading!

Waterbrook Multnomah press provided me with a free copy of this book, for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment